George Kambosos Jr, world title bout Devin Haney, lightweight, Marvel Stadium Melbourne


Australian lightweight champion George Kambosos Jr will defend his world title at home after locking in a bout with American Devin Haney.

It was confirmed on Friday the fight will take place at Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium on June 5.

Kambosos (20-0, 10 KOs) became the WBO, WBA, and IBF lightweight champion following his stunning defeat of Teofimo Lopez last December, but there is one belt he still desires – the WBC lightweight belt.

READ MORE: Insane final-minute try steals victory for Titans

READ MORE: Australia stunned by Pakistan’s record run chase

READ MORE: Las Vegas race to end 38-year Formula 1 tradition

The 28-year-old Australian’s titles will be put on the line as Kambosos looks to become the undisputed lightweight champion against Haney (27-0, 15 KO’s), the current WBC lightweight champion.

“I spent my entire life working for this moment and it will be truly incredible to return home for my first title defence in front of a packed-out stadium in Melbourne.” Kambosos Jr said in a statement

“This is the biggest boxing event to be held in Australia and I’m going to do whatever it takes to come out victorious on June 5.

“Haney has the only belt missing from my collection and he will know what he’s in for when he steps up into the lion’s den of Marvel Stadium against this Aussie Greek lion.

“I plan to not only take his belt but put a serious dent in his young career.”

Haney said his eyes were focused on making history.

“I’m on the cusp of greatness showcasing my skills on the world’s stage fighting for lightweight supremacy,” Haney said.

“I didn’t come this far to only come this far. Come June 5, I intend to claim my place in history and add to my legacy… the undisputed lightweight king… I’m coming for all the belts.”

The announcement of the fight comes after Kambosos’ world title bout with Ukraine star Vasily Lomachenko fell through last month.

Lomachenko opted to remain in his home country of Ukraine and assist in the war effort instead of leaving for training camp, which he would have had to have done under the terms of the fight contract.

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!



Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

close