NRL news 2022, Kalyn Ponga, Newcastle Knights, contract extension, Dolphins


A shock report on the future of Newcastle superstar Kalyn Ponga has been shot down by club legend and staff member Andrew Johns.

As Ponga was playing for the Knights against St George Illawarra in Wollongong, news broke regarding a contract extension at the club.

The report claimed an extension offer that had been on the table, had been taken off.

READ MORE: Warriors burned by bizarre Bunker decision during loss

READ MORE: Storm stars desperate for Munster to stay

READ MORE: Jockey’s tribute as Warne’s horse secures first win

Ponga, 24, is technically a free agent, but he has options on his current contract that he can activate for seasons 2023 and 2024.

He has to make a decision on that before June 1. Adding to the intrigue is the fact the NRL’s new team, the Dolphins, are trying to lure him back to Queensland for next season.

Journalist Michael Chammas explained to Nine that the contract extension in question is not part of Ponga’s current deal, and the club is denying the report.

“I’ve spoken to people at the Knights, they are surprised by these reports,” Chammas said.

Johns – who is working with Ponga at the Knights this season – completely rubbished the report.

“I don’t believe it. Simple as that,” Johns told Nine.

“The Knights want to keep Kalyn at all costs. I know there is a process at the moment.

“We all know the Dolphins are chasing him. I just simply don’t believe it, I don’t think the Knights would pull that extension.”

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!



Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

close